How to choose a smart watch for a child
A smart watch is a wristwatch or bracelet in which some functions of a smartphone are built-in. With their help, you can track many parameters, as well as synchronize them with your smartphone, which will additionally allow you to view messages, calls or answer them. But what features exist when choosing a smart watch for a child, and does he need it?
What is a smart watch?
How to choose a smart watch
Initially, smart watches were designed as an expensive addition to a smartphone, designed to greatly simplify the life of their user. Soon athletes and people leading a healthy lifestyle became interested in the new product. Separate models of smart watches with adapted functionality have also appeared for them.
Over time, smart watches attracted the attention of parents, as their functionality made it possible to track the location of the child, his condition, and contact the child. However, many functions that are in expensive Smart Watch and fitness bracelets are not needed in children's watches, so these models of watches have several distinctive features:
- Truncated functionality. The main task of children's smart watches is to track the location of the child and the ability to contact him. In rare models, you can find additional sensors, for example, monitoring the heart rate, since in most cases they are unnecessary;
- Low price. This is due to the previous paragraph, as well as cheap materials for manufacturing and soft pricing of manufacturers;
- The main materials for the production of children's smart watches are plastic and other synthetics. Usually it is completely safe and does not cause irritation or allergies with prolonged wear;
- Children's watches have a bright design and are very different from ordinary smart watches and fitness bracelets;
- They are used in conjunction with the parent smartphone, synchronization occurs through a special application, and you can control the watch’s operation even over long distances, the main thing is that there is good communication and satellite coverage.
True, you can "monitor" the whereabouts of the child and contact him through an ordinary inexpensive smartphone. What does a smart watch for children win over ordinary smartphones:
- A smartphone is easy to lose or forget somewhere, especially if the child is still small. Wrist watches are much more difficult to lose, as they are always on hand;
- A watch can be even cheaper and more reliable than a smartphone. For example, for $ 50 you can buy an excellent Smart Watch for a child, but for the same amount you can buy a smartphone only from a not very reliable manufacturer or used one;
- Since the watch is always in the field of view of the child, you can be sure that he will not miss your message or call;
- Here there is only the most necessary functionality, which means that the child will not be distracted by games, surfing the net and other activities;
- Random numbers may be sent to your phone or spam. Only you and some family members can call the watch;
- Wide functionality for parental control and more accurate tracking of the child’s location.
What to look for when buying
Since the functionality of the smart watch for children is small, and there are no special differences between the models, we can highlight several points that are recommended to pay attention to when buying a children's Smart Watch:
- The size of the strap and the ability to adjust it. On some models, adjusting the strap is either impossible or very limited;
- Management interface. Some watches have a touch screen and control is done through it, but there are models where control is done through physical buttons on the case;
- Color or black and white screen. This practically does not affect the functionality of the watch, but sometimes it’s more reasonable to buy a model with a color screen or vice versa b / w;
- The ability to receive messages and calls. Some models do not have them and therefore simply serve as sensors for tracking location;
- The presence of a built-in camera. Such a solution in construction is very rare, but with its help you can track what is happening with the child;
- Geo-positioning protocols. The most correct location is shown by those watches where positioning occurs according to three protocols: Wi-Fi, GPS, LTS;
- The maximum possible size of the phone book. Usually, only 2 contacts will be enough for the child - father and mother, but in some models it is possible to make 10 contacts.
When choosing a watch, you must always consider how comfortable it will be for the child to wear it for a long period of time. In addition, pay attention to the quality of the material from which the strap and the watch itself are made, since poor-quality material can cause irritation or allergies.
Let's consider in more detail several models of popular children's smart watches.
This is a watch with a silicone case, which is more suitable for children under 7 years, as they have a small girth of the strap. There are no outstanding features here. A child can call one of two numbers recorded in the watch’s memory, as well as an emergency number. It comes in three colors: pink, green and blue. Watches of this model transmit information that they were removed or put on the hand.
The main disadvantage of this model is an outdated black and white screen without touch controls and not very logical controls. Buttons 1 and 2 are used to call numbers, and the SOS button is used to call emergency services. To answer the call, you need to press the power button, in this action, the child under 7 years old may not understand the logic.
In this model, a color screen with touch controls was added. The workmanship and color combinations remained the same. The design provides an adjustable strap that allows you to put the watch on even an adult’s hand, however, it’s unlikely that they can be worn on the hand of a child under 6 years old, since they will fall off.
Management occurs through the touch screen, but the opportunity to make an emergency call through the SOS button remains. Geolocation protocols have been improved. Additionally, a camera was added to the design with the ability to send photos to the parent phone.
This watch is an improved model of the previous ones. At the moment, this is one of the few models that has been certified in Russia. Of the innovations, the following can be noted:
- The parent can make a “secret” call to the child’s watch, that is, the call cannot be displayed on the watch panel and the child, as well as the people around him, will not realize that they are being listened to;
- There is an opportunity to "make friends" with other watches of the same model nearby. With "friends" you can exchange voice messages, which will be accessed by the parent;
- Additional sensors have been added to track the health of the child, that is, the number of steps taken, heart rate and other indicators.
There are many more different models of smart watches for children on the market, however, many of them are cheap, but they do not have certification in Russia and fly from China. When choosing a smart watch for a child, it is recommended to study the reviews of other parents about a particular model.But what features exist when choosing a smart watch for a child, and does he need it?